Work as a teacher

1.What qualifications should one have in teaching in China?
The basic qualifications are: being a native speaker of English, having a minimum BA degree and commitment to teaching, loving China and its people. Clear, well-spoken English and a good knowledge of the fundamentals of English grammar. Teaching experience/certificate is preferred but not a must. For those interested in a long-term career in ESL teaching, however, it is strongly recommended that teaching qualifications be attained. For more information regarding suitable training for ESL positions, please see the Upgrade Your Skills page.

2.What courses are required to teach?

Depending on the particular school you are placed in, you may be asked to teach some of the following courses: English & American literature, linguistics, reading, composition, grammar, cultural survey of English-speaking countries, conversational English and English for Special Purposes (ESP) such as business English. There are universities that need teachers to teach more specialized subjects such as accounting, international marketing and law.


3.How about the teachin conditiond in China?

Teaching conditions and compensation in China vary from school to school, but if you teach at a university, you will be teaching for about 12-14 hours a week.

4.What is the dress code of a teacher while working?

Schools usually advise their teachers to wear, when teaching, smart casual clothing. For a man, this would include smart casual trousers, a long or short sleeved collared shirt (depending on the time of the year) and polished leather shoes. A tie and coat or jacket, are optional. In winter it is a necessity, due to the cold. For a woman, this involves either slacks or a long skirt and a neat blouse with covered or uncovered shows. Generally speaking, the strict dress codes that are enforced in other countries do not apply to China, thus, a ‘clean cut’presentable appearance is required at all times.

5.What teaching resources are available and what resources would be of useful to pack?

Most teachers have a large range of teaching resources available to them. Sources ranging from computer and internet, DVD/VCD, OHP, tape recorder, photocopier etc. At most schools textbooks are provided for you to use as a guide. Additionally, there are numerous teaching resources that we will inform you of once you ‘settle in’.

If your willing to bring material from your country, I would advise you to bring information on your country relating to, its famous places, cultures and traditions, also newspapers, posters, magazines, books etc. Videos of children’s programs such as Humphrey, Wiggles, Hi-five, Sesame Street are not available here and would be of great benefit to you, when conducting your lessons, both at your contracted school or privately. Also news programs and other programs such as neighbors etc are of a great advantage.

6.Are there any definate opportunities to do a second year? How many people do a second year and more?

There are many opportunities if you chose to teach in China for a second year. Your options increase as your experience increases in relation oral English teaching. We can certainly assist you with this as the time gets nearer.

Again, peoples reasoning for remaining for a second year and beyond are many and varied. One common thread we would suggest, would be the challenge of teaching oral English and the fact that their expectations in relation to their reasons for coming to China to teach oral English initially were met and exceeded.

7.How do I know that it is a Chinese government authorized education institution that I will be working for?

Almost all schools that are numbered are Government schools. For example, Yingcheng Number 1 Middle School. For official verification it is possible to phone the Chinese Consulate in your country to confirm that the school is in fact a Chinese Government school.

8.Am I sponsored to work in China?

You are correct in assuming that you arrive in China sponsored to work by a Chinese Government authorized institution. That is, the school sponsors you in order for you to obtain your Chinese Z working visa, and as such they are responsible for you whilst you reside in China.

Thus, your work is pre-arranged before departing your country, the components and specifics of your working conditions are stipulated in your employment package.

9.Does a higher qualification translate to a higher salary?

Your higher qualifications do translate to higher pay, however to a small extent. What higher qualifications allow you to be able to do, is work for an institution of higher learning, that is, a College or a University.

Working for such institutions affords you access to a wider range of additional opportunities.

10.What are the holidays for a teacher in China?

Copyright © 1999-2019 China TEFL Network, All Rights Reserved.  浙ICP备06002844号   PAGE TOP

浙公网安备 33010502005542号